MIDDLE EAST GARDEN TRADITIONS

   Home   Search   History of the Project   Contributors   Contact Us   Links   Member
MIDDLE EAST GARDEN | Al-Munyat al-Na‘ura or the King’s Orchard [Sp. La

Original Number :  

 C15

Garden Name :  

 Al-Munyat al-Na‘ura or the King’s Orchard [Sp. La

Country location :  

 Spain

City location :  

 Toledo

Nature of Source :  

 1. Chronicles; 2. Archaeology.

Date of source :  

 

Selected Bibliography :  

1. Al-Maqqari, Nafh al-tib. The History of the Mohammedan Dynasties in Spain 1. Translated into English by P. Gayangos, London, 1840. p. 239-40. 2. Henri Pérès. La poesie andalouse en arabe classique au XIe siècle, Paris,1953. p. 150-1. 3. Leopoldo Torres Balbás. Los contornos de las ciudades hispanomusulmanas. Al-Andalus 15 (1950): 437-486. 1950: 454-463. 4. Muhammad Sobh. “Poetas en la corte de al-Ma’mun de Toledo”. in Simposio Toledo hispano-árabe, Madrid, 1986; p. 53-4. 5. Clara Delgado Valero. Toledo islámico: ciudad, arte e historia. Toledo, 1987. p. 317. 6. Andrea Navagero. Viaje por España (1524-1526). Madrid 1983. p.47-48. (Translated into Spanish by A. M. Fabié, from the original, Il viaggio fatto in Spagna et in Francia dal magnifico Andrea Navagiero, Venice, 1563); p. 25-26. 7. Francisco de Pisa. Descripción de la Imperial Ciudad de Toledo, Toledo, 1695. p. 25.

Narrative of Creation :  

The King’s Orchard is among the several orchards around the walls of Toledo quoted from the Middle Ages until the beginning of the 17th century. This is where King al-Ma’mun ben Di l-Nun (who reigned between 1043 and 1075) had his estate. Nowadays, it is usually known as El Palacio de Galiana, which beyond doubt corresponds to an old Muslim palace. According to Ibn Sa‘id, there was a luxurious vaulted pavilion built by the King of Toledo in this beautiful place. Other authors mention a pavilion of colored glass embellished with gold on an island, and a pool in the garden. In 1084, Alphonse VI of Castile occupied the King’s Orchard and established himself in this Muslim palace. In 1090 the Almoravids felled all the trees in the valley and in 1110 devastated it and destroyed the palace. It was again sacked in 1196 by the Almohads at the command of the Sultan of Seville, Ya’qub al- Mansur. Although the palace was restored in the 13th century (perhaps in the 14th), Navagero, who saw the palace abandoned in 1525, described the King’s Orchard as a plain irrigated by river waterwheels and full of trees and fruits, ‘with everything farmed and made orchards.' Two river waterwheels are seen in the view of Toledo drawn in 1563 by Anton Van den Wyngaerde. One seems to be placed exactly in front of the palace. At the end of the 17th century there were still several waterwheels in La Huerta del Rey: one called de Raçaçu, another called de la Alberca, one known as de La Islilla, those in the Palacio de Galiana, and one in the orchard of Laytique (Pisa 1695: 25). In the 19th century Gautier recorded an animal-drawn waterwheel in a group of trees close to the Palacio de Galiana. The palace was restored in the 1950s under the supervision of Fernando Chueca Goitia and Manuel Gómez Moreno.

Century of creation :  

 c.1050 A.D.

Dates of attested life, from:  

 11th century

Dates of attested life, to:  

 17th century

Date of entry of information :  

 April 2007

Century of disappearance :  

 

Author of information in the table:  

 Antonio Almagro Luis Ramón-Laca

          


Drawing by Mahvash Alemi
 © Middle East Garden    
460164